Year 1's Class Page!
Teacher: Mr Brosnan
Teaching Support: Mrs Davidson and Miss Baird (Monday - Wednesday)
PPA Cover: Miss Maddocks
Things to know in Year 1...
- Please can we ask that you read as regularly as possible with your children and sign their reading record.
- PE day is Friday. Children should be coming to school in plain black jogging bottoms, their school t-shirt and school jumper! They will need to wear their school shoes and bring pumps to change into before the PE lesson, these can be kept in school in a bag on their peg in class.
- Please can children come to school with a water bottle filled with water, not juice!
- If you need to contact me at any point please send a message on the app or email me at email@example.com
Things we will be learning this term...
- In Maths we will be concentrating on place value. We will then move onto addition and subtraction. Children will be encouraged to independently use resources around the classroom to support their learning.
- In English we will be covering books linked to our feelings, toys and an alternative traditional tales. We are also focusing on our handwriting, please encourage any oppertunities for children to practice their writing at home!
- In Phonics we will be completing phase 3 and 4. Sounds will be taught in lessons every morning so please ask your child what sound they have learnt and encourage them to use their phonic knowledge at home too! There is phonics guidance on this page below, if you are unsure, please take some time to read through it. It will help you in supporting your child and in turn help your child flourish.
- In Science we will be learning about our senses and our bodies, we will also be looking at evergreen and deciduous trees later in the term. We hope to spend some time outside in our nature area to explore this topic first hand!
- In our Creative Curriculum we are looking at how toys have changed from the past, childhoods now and then and where we live. We have already discussed human and physical features in Georgraphy, they loved learning about this so please ask them about it at home!
- In PE our focus is athletics, we will be discussing famous athletes and learning lots of new skills.
We hope your child has a fun and exciting learning experience,
Links to sites
* A great website where you can support your child to read at home is Oxford Owl https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk Create a free log-in and explore e-books for your child to read, similar to those that are sent home from school.
* Another site to look at is Collins Big Cat. Go to Collins Connect and click on the teacher portal and enter
* Phonics Play is a great website that we use in school to support the teaching of phonics and spelling. It is currently free to parents by using the following log in details:
username = march20
password = home
The main phase to look at are phase 3 but it is also a chance to practice sounds from other phases that your child might be unsure of.
Resources to support English at home.
Children are familiar with the below phonics sounds and will recognise the pictures from the classroom. These may be used to help support children when learning their phonics sounds.