*** IF YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO SEND YOU CHILD BACK TO SCHOOL WHEN WE REOPEN PLEASE LOOK AT THE INFORMATION UNDER THE CORONAVIRUS SUPPORT TAB - REOPENING SCHOOL***
Don't try to replace the school curriculum at home, there are lots of different ways that children can learn. Sometime spent doing English and Maths will definitely help but spending time listening to and telling stories, keeping active, developing their imaginations through play and spending time as a family are all just as important at this time.
If you do have any question you can get in touch with me through the MyEd app or on the email address email@example.com.
Links to sites
* A great website where you can support your child to read at home is Oxford Owl https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk Create a free log-in and explore e-books for your child to read, similar to those that are sent home from school.
* Another site to look at is Collins Big Cat. Go to Collins Connect and click on the teacher portal and enter
* Phonics Play is a great website that we use in school to support the teaching of phonics and spelling. It is currently free to parents by using the following log in details:
username = march20
password = home
The main phase to look at are phase 5 but it is also a chance to practice sounds from other phases that your child might be unsure of.
* Please click on the letter below for information about daily phonics lessons taking place online. These sessions are being delivered by English Hubs and are funded by the Department of Education. The sessions follow the same scheme (Letters and Sounds) that we use at OLV.
As the weeks go on it is possible that your child will have more and more questions and maybe feeling more anxious even if they are not showing it. Here a couple of places to look if you would like any support around this.
- Jaime from Cosmic Kids Yoga has produced a useful YouTube clip for parents and children around using yoga to relive stress and manage anxiety https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- Headspace also have some videos on meditation that can that parents can do with younger children to help with managing anxiety and relieving stress https://www.headspace.com/meditation/kids
- Imoves has opened their resource free to parents. I use this resource in class and it has some fabulous things on there. If you use the link below to create a parent account you will have access to lots of boredom busters and mental well-being activities. https://imoves.com/imovement-signup
Year One home learning super stars!
I hope everyone is ok and that everything is going well for you and your families.
Please do keep having a go at the daily challenges and do get in touch with school by email of the MyEd app if you need anything.
Remember that as a school we have access to both Maths Shed and Spelling Shed. Both games can be accessed at https://play.edshed.com/login The same login works for both sites. If your child has lost their login then please get in touch.
I hope you are all keeping safe and well - missing you all lots. Keep safe, Miss Dwyer and Miss Earley x
I loved looking after the caterpillars!
It was great watching the butterflies fly away and even better that we got to hold
them for a little while.
This video shows how the caterpillar turns itself in to a chrysalis. The caterpillar wriggles of of it skin (it has done this four times already) and the chrysalis forms around its body.
We managed to film one of the butterflies emerging from its chrysalis. You can see the colours of its wings through the casing of the chrysalis as it starts to push its way out. The butterfly uses lots of strength pushing its way out and needs to rest for a while after so its wings can unfold and dry out.
Time For A Story
Resources to support English at home.
Here are the daily challenges.
Here are the daily challenges. Firstly, watch the video here https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-1/ then complete the worksheets below.
You can also visit https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/tags/zjpqqp3/year-1-and-p2-lessons for some fantastic lessons from BBC Bitesize.
I will be adding slides here with challenges on from all subjects in the curriculum including Science, Art and Religion. Maybe you could pick one a day to have a go at. Don't forget I'd love to see what you have been up to so send a picture if you can.
Most of all have a good time doing these challenges - learning should always be fun!
Online learning opportunities
- If your feeling creative then look at http://www.robbiddulph.com/draw-with-rob Rob Biddulph is an author and illustrator who is doing draw-alongs for his characters. They are really easy to follow and great fun to do!
- The teachers at Diocese of Leeds Music have launched a weekly music session. The session will take place at 11am every Monday and can be found at www.schoolssingingprogramme.org.uk
Horrible Histories VE Day song https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/watch/horrible-histories-songs-ve-day-song
Learning about leaves https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2020/03/tree-id-kids/
Learning why trees are important https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I7u5FMQxHA
Drawing and labeling a flower https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zpxnyrd
Week beginning 15th June
|making doubles - 19th June.pdf||Download|
|reading challenge 17th june.pptx||Download|
|reading worksheet 17th june.jpg||Download|
|worksheerts 16th june - Make Arrays -.pdf||Download|
|worksheets 17th june - doubles.pdf||Download|
|y1 KEY LEARNING practice 1.JPG||Download|
|y1 KEY LEARNING practice 2.JPG||Download|
Week beginning 8th June
|English - 10th June.jpg||Download|
|English - 11th June.jpg||Download|
|English - 12th June.jpg||Download|
|English - 8th June.jpg||Download|
|English - 9th June.jpg||Download|
|Maths - challenge worksheets 10th june.pdf||Download|
|Maths - challenge worksheets 11th june.pdf||Download|
|Maths - challenge worksheets 8th june.pdf||Download|
|Maths - challenge worksheets 9th june.pdf||Download|
|Maths - worksheets 10th june.pdf||Download|
Week beginning 1st June
Week beginning 18th May
|maths worksheets 18th may.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 20th may y1 maths.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 21st may y1 maths.pptx||Download|
|worksheets 22nd may y1 maths.pptx||Download|
|Y1 Eng 19th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 20th may.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 21st may.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 22nd may.jpg||Download|
|y1 maths 21st may.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 11th May
|Worksheets 13th May Maths.pptx||Download|
|Worksheets 15th May Maths.pptx||Download|
|y1 Eng 12th May 1.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 12th May 2.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 13th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 14th may.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 15th May.jpg||Download|
|Y1 Eng Mon 11th 1.jpg||Download|
|Y1 Eng Mon 11th May 2.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 4th May
|Stuck by Oliver Jeffers.pptx||Download|
|Y1 Eng 4th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 5th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 6th may 1.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 6th may 2.jpg||Download|
|y1 eng 6th may 3.jpg||Download|
|y1 Eng 7th May.jpg||Download|
|Y1 maths 5th May.jpg||Download|
|y1 maths 6th may 1.jpg||Download|
|y1 maths 6th may 2.jpg||Download|
Week beginning 27th April
Dear all Year 1 parents and carers,
I hope all is well at home and you are enjoying your home packs!
I am putting together a list of words that you may help your children to learn, please could you support your children to read and write each word. This will support the phonics we have been learning in the classroom. These will be sent out to you shortly. Please could you email me on firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details. That way I can send you a list that is specific to your child.
Please could you support your children to practice writing short sentences; using finger spaces between each word, capital letters at the beginning of sentences and full stops at the end of sentences.
Children may also practice their letter and number formations.
Please use the maths resources on this page. If you would like to share anything that you have done with your children then please send me an email on the year 1 email address.
If you have any concerns or if you need any specific work sending home, please contact me on the email address above.